Murder victim's former boyfriend knew the truth all along, Australian police say
Nearly three years ago, Sayle Kenneth Newson demanded to know the truth about what happened to his then-girlfriend, Australian woman Carly McBride.
He would offer A$10,000 cash as a reward. He would maintain a Facebook page that encouraged tip-offs from the community. And he would speak candidly to the media about how the couple's lives were just "taking off".
On Monday, police alleged Newson knew the truth all along: that he had killed McBride, from Lake Macquarie in the state of New South Wales, robbing two children of their mother, and plunging her heartbroken parents into despair as years went by without receiving any answers.
In a breakthrough in a murder mystery that has rattled Australia's Hunter Valley since September 30, 2014, Newson, who had been in a relationship with McBride for the eight weeks prior to her disappearance, was arrested at San Remo on the NSW Central Coast and charged with her murder.
He was also charged with two other offences in relation to the torching of a rented Mitsubishi Triton.
Hunter Valley Superintendent Steve Clarke revealed that a second man – who is in custody at NSW's Lithgow Correctional Centre – would also be arrested later in the week and is expected to also be charged with her murder.
"It would appear that there may be an aspect of jealousy involved in this particular matter," Superintendent Clarke said on Monday.
Newson did not apply for bail during a brief appearance at Wyong Local Court on the NSW Central Coast on Monday afternoon.
Earlier, Superintendent Clarke said the 39-year-old had boasted to detectives about being a former boxer and Muay Thai champion with "20 wins and no losses".
That would form a "significant" part of the prosecution case, he said, revealing that a post-mortem of McBride's remains concluded she died from a heavy blow to the head.
"A post-mortem has revealed that she died from blunt force trauma and we will allege that she was assaulted to the point where she died," Superintendent Clarke told reporters.
Asked about Newson's behaviour in the aftermath of McBride's disappearance, including his appeals for help on Facebook and the reward for information, Superintendent Clarke said detectives had always kept the 39-year-old in their sights, revealing that the accused had used McBride's card to purchase drinks at McDonald's after her disappearance.
Many early posts on the "Help Find Carly McBride" Facebook page were personally signed off by Newson.
They included appeals for witnesses to come forward with information, to his frustrations with police and the media with how the investigation was being handled, and eventually to his praise for Strike Force Karabi, which was charged with getting to the bottom of McBride's disappearance. Newson told the Newcastle Herald in 2014 that he feared the worst.
"I believe she is dead, but I need the truth," Newson said at the time.
McBride's parents, Steve McBride and Lorraine Williams, did not speak publicly on Monday, but were understood to be relieved.
"They are obviously very relieved we've got to this point, but also very emotional as a result of what's happened," Superintendent Clarke said.
Magistrate Peter Feather adjourned the matter to Newcastle Local Court on August 9
- Newcastle Herald