Homes lost in South Australia bushfires

Last updated 11:38 18/01/2014

Images showing major bushfires in South Australia as heatwave and strong winds continue to fan the flames.

Relevant offers


Positive signs from Andrew Little's Australia trip, but more heat than light? Neighbours actor Jeremy Kewley pleads guilty to child sex offences Partner of Kiwi detainee speaks out about detention centre struggles Sydney police rush to domestic abuse call, only all was not as it seemed Positive reception from Aus trip fuels fight against 'injustice' - Andrew Little Australian 'girl gone wild' is 'humiliated' by bathroom trashing video Surfers should pay for shark protection measures - expert Snake warning after Gold Coast fire Stories of detained Kiwis show 'crude' nature of Aus policy - Andrew Little Injury toll rises from South Australian bushfire

Warnings for four major fires burning throughout South Australia have been downgraded but authorities warn the threat is still very real.

A drop in temperatures and a wind change helped firefighters contain the blazes overnight Friday.

However, more property has been destroyed with two homes lost to a blaze at Bangor in the southern Flinders Ranges.

The SA Country Fire Service (CFS) says other structures have also been destroyed and there has been multiple stock losses.

The Bangor fire, which has burnt through 22,000 hectares, continues to burn through scrubland.

About 100 firefighters were battling the bushfire overnight.

Two homes have also been lost in the Billiatt Conservation Park fire, which is burning in a northerly direction east of Adelaide.

The threat of fire in the Eden Valley, northeast of Adelaide, has reduced, a CFS spokeswoman said.

She said the fire, which has burnt over 27,000ha, has destroyed  a number of homes.

An assessment team would be sent to the area on Saturday to confirm exactly how many properties had been lost.

Firefighters are focusing on property protection at a complex of bushfires burning in the state's Riverland.

A watch and act alert is also in place for the blaze.

The CFS spokeswoman said a band of lightning that swept through  the state on Friday night also started more fires.

But accompanying rain helped firefighters extinguish the fires.

Despite the four major bushfires being downgraded overnight, the  CFS warns the threat is still ''very real''.

''There is still active fire at all of these fires and there is  constant change in the situation,'' the spokeswoman said.

"We are still advising people they need to be aware of the situation.''Across the state there are still 18 ongoing fires.

Ad Feedback


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content