Shock has set in for a former policeman accused of repeatedly stabbing his wife and two young children.
The 41-year-old faced Brisbane Magistrates Court on Monday and was remanded in custody until March 10. He did not apply for bail.
He was facing three counts of attempted murder, two counts of grievous bodily harm and one of acts intended to cause grievous bodily harm.
His defence lawyer Adam Magill told reporters the husband and father was not coping.
"It's a terrible, terrible turn of events," Magill said outside the court.
"He's struggling. He's in a very bad way. He's starting to realise the ramifications of what's happening, the fact he's been remanded in custody.
"All of those sort of things are starting to come to a head for him."
Magill said relatives of the family were also struggling.
"Shock has set in. They're trying to establish how and why," he said.
The man's 39-year-old wife, and their children, a girl aged nine and a boy aged seven, had undergone surgery and remained in hospital in serious but stable conditions.
They were allegedly stabbed multiple times at a Carina home in Brisbane's east on Sunday.
He sat with his back to the public gallery as police applied for a temporary protection order to prevent him contacting his alleged victims. The case was adjourned to March 10.
Magistrate Paul Kluck said he was satisfied acts of attempted violence had been committed and ordered the man to have no contact with his alleged victims or go near them, their residence or school.
Outside court, a relative declined to elaborate when accompanying the charged man's sister through a media scrum.
"It's very sensitive to everybody," the relative said.