First Schapelle Corby pics seen, and pulled

Last updated 21:25 11/02/2014

Relevant offers


Dreamworld accident: Without bonus, Dreamworld boss gets half her predecessor's pay - and he didn't even work Dreamworld accident: Theme park contractor's attempt at humour after theme park tragedy Dreamworld accident: Aussie radio host Anna Dare suspended over 'joke' Dreamworld accident: Blenheim man went on Dreamworld ride with his family shortly before tragedy struck Australian Jessica Wongso to appeal sentence for cyanide murder Dreamworld accident: Fundraiser set up as family struggles to comprehend Dreamworld disaster Ardent has failed at every step over the Dreamworld tragedy – except deciding to reopen Qantas ratchets up excess baggage fees by 75 per cent Dreamworld accident: Dreamworld faced almost A$2 million in lawsuits since 2010, court records reveal Dreamworld accident: Ardent Leisure chief executive Deborah Thomas donates bonus to Red Cross

The first clear picture of convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby has been published by Woman's Day on its website - but it has since been pulled amid confusion as to who took the photograph, and who paid for it.

It was understood the magazine had paid $20,000 for the image of Corby celebrating with her brother after her release from a Bali jail.

But Corby's sister, Mercedes Corby, contacted Fairfax Media on Tuesday evening to say she had taken the photograph and Woman's Day had not paid her for it.

The photograph was removed from the website after it appeared on The Daily Telegraph website.

Earlier in the day, a Sydney man tried to sell the photograph to media outlets including Fairfax Media. He said it had been taken by his brother at the exclusive Sentosa villas in trendy Seminyak, where Corby is staying.

Fairfax Media was told the image had been taken by a friend of the Corbys, who had joined Schapelle, her family and friends for drinks.

It's previously been claimed Corby wore her bizarre face-covering garb when she walked out of Kerobokan prison to protect an exclusive deal with Channel Seven, worth about $2 million.

Despite saying no deal had been done, star journalist Mike Willesee admitted that Channel Seven had hired private security.

Guards appear to have been by Corby's side since before she had even met the final conditions of her release and continue to patrol the perimeter of her villa.

The Indonesian media have been asking questions about the handsome man wearing a blue shirt and sunglasses, who was in the room with Corby as she finalised documentation at the Bali Corrections Board on her final step to freedom.

He was with Corby as her convoy snaked its way through Bali and to the Seminyak resort.

Since then, he has been keeping watch outside the Corby villa and, along with a handful of other hotel and private security, accosting reporters from rival media outlets.

The man told a Fairfax photographer on Monday night that he was an Australian consular official.

But the Department of Foreign Affairs has denied any of its staff have been accompanying Corby.

Ad Feedback

- Fairfax Media

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content