Infant dies after hospital bashing

Last updated 14:12 25/02/2014

Relevant offers

Australia

Girl, 4, makes history in world-first attempt to prevent type 1 diabetes Islamic State fighter's children at risk: grandmother Police seek to prevent public access to Lindt Cafe siege evidence Johnny Depp's Dogs: Mick Doohan says situation 'hilarious' Sydney cafe siege inquest: Man Monis was schizophrenic Islamic State fighter Khaled Sharrouf's family try to return to Australia Valuable cattle gallstones stolen and recovered Good Samaritan assaulted after trying to stop racial attack on Melbourne train Australia looks to scrap tampon tax after student protest California looks to Australia for tips on surviving drought

Charges against a teenage father who allegedly bashed his baby son at a West Australian hospital may be upgraded following the infant's death.

Police allege the month-old baby was attacked at Bunbury Regional Hospital on February 15.

Left with critical head injuries, the premature infant died in Princess Margaret Hospital on Monday.

His 15-year-old father, a ward of state, was charged last week with aggravated grievous bodily harm.

On Tuesday, police said charges may be upgraded pending the results of a post mortem.

"Major Crime Squad officers will continue their inquiries into the matter," a police spokeswoman said.

Department for Child Protection director general Terry Murphy said the WA coroner and ombudsman would investigate the cause of death, and review the circumstances and events that led to the tragedy.

The 15-year-old is due to appear in Perth Children's Court on Friday.

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content