Man fears dying, drinks beer

LISA BENOIT
Last updated 14:44 11/03/2014
Rod Sommerville
Allan Reinikka Rokasnake/The Morning Bulletin

DEADLY ENCOUNTER: Rod Sommerville recovers after being bitten by an eastern brown snake.

Relevant offers

Australia

Adrian Bayley found guilty of raping three women before he raped and murdered Jill Meagher Catholic crusader Peter Westmore blesses daughter's gay marriage in New Zealand Melbourne mother and son die in French Alps crash Australian teen taken off plane headed to Middle East Man found asleep in car in middle of motorway Teenage dad jailed for killing his baby Australia a puzzling hotbed of Islamic State recruiting Popular Australian diving spot under threat Aussie teen jihadist Jake Bilardi's dad reveals son's troubled childhood The day Malcolm Fraser saved my career as a journalist

A central Queensland man, who believed he might "cark it" after he was bitten by a deadly eastern brown snake, decided to grab a beer and take a seat until the ambulance arrived.

Rod Sommerville, 54, was moving a few pot plants in his Yeppoon yard when the snake nipped him on the finger.

Sommerville's reaction was to grab his shovel and "whack it on the head" and as soon as he was done with the snake, he called an ambulance, grabbed a beer from the fridge and sat down.

"I said to myself, if I'm going to cark it I'm going to have a beer, so I got a Goldie out of the fridge and drank that 'cause you know eastern browns are the second most venomous snake in the world," he said.

Sommerville was taken straight to the Yeppoon Hospital then transferred a short time later to Rockhampton to receive the anti-venom but suffered an allergic reaction to the treatment that "nearly killed me as well so it was a double whammy".

He ended up spending four days in intensive care and was in still hospital three weeks after the snake bite.

-Fairfax Australia

Ad Feedback
Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content