Debris found in MH370 search

Last updated 21:29 23/04/2014

Relevant offers


Malcolm Turnbull to make first official visit to New Zealand as Prime Minister 40 New Zealanders being held at Christmas Island immigration detention centre 'If you don't like Australia, leave' - Sydney mosque chairman to extremists Harriet Wran - daughter of former NSW premier - to face murder trial Hunt family killings: 'Geoff motivated by suicide more than murder' inquest hears Australian toddler Jaxon Taylor's head reattached to spine after car crash Human kidney grown in lab offers hope for patients Sydney teen shooter 'recruited' by extremists Australian public servant wins legal fight over A$20,000 breast surgery We're risking a mass extinction of frogs

Debris has washed up on the coast of Western Australia, raising hopes it may be from the missing flight MH370.

The Joint Agency Coordination Centre (JACC), which is overseeing the search for the Malaysia Airlines flight that disappeared on March 8, said the debris was being investigated.

It was found 10 kilometres east of Augusta, near Margaret River, on the south west coast of WA.

Western Australian police had taken possession of the debris, the JACC said.

"The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) is examining the photographs of the material to determine whether further physical analysis is required and if there is any relevance to the search of missing flight MH370," the JACC said in a statement.

"The ATSB has also provided the photographs to the Malaysian investigation team."

ATSB chief commissioner Martin Dolan played down the find.

"It's sufficiently interesting for us to take a look at the photographs," Dolan told CNN.

"The more we look at it, the less excited we get."

He said the debris appeared to be sheet metal with rivets.

A spokesman for Western Australia police said the debris was found some time on Wednesday afternoon and local police from Busselton had secured the items.

The spokesman could not provide further details regarding the nature of the debris.

At a press conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysian officials said they have not been sent photos from JACC, but so far all objects collected in the search have not been from MH370, in response to question about what the photos of the debris look like.

Earlier today, the search from the air was suspended due to heavy seas and poor visibility.

Three search planes that had already departed had to be recalled. But the 12 ships involved in the operation continued the search, which was centred around an area almost 1600 kilometres north west of Perth.

Ad Feedback

- Sydney Morning Herald

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content