French leader condemns vigilante attack

Last updated 22:53 17/06/2014

Relevant offers

Europe

Wikipedia blocked in Turkey over terrorism 'smear campaign' Angela Merkel has a 'good relationship' with Donald Trump, despite frosty start European Union meets without UK prime minister, vows to be 'firm' in Brexit talks Between lobbing missiles, Kim Jong Un looks to Russia for support Five myths about France UK anti-terror police contain second active plot in space of a few hours Inequities mean revolution may not be so far-fetched A Life Story - Dora Suuring, Dutch resistance fighter dies, aged 102 National Portrait - Kate Camp, the poet Furore over Holocaust comments hits Marine Le Pen's French election bid

A vigilante attack against a Roma teenager is causing alarm at France’s highest levels, after a group of people who suspected the boy of burglary seized him from his camp, beat him into unconsciousness and left him for dead. 

French President Francois Hollande called the attack ‘‘unspeakable and unjustifiable.’’ In a statement Tuesday, he said ‘‘all efforts should be made to find the perpetrators of this attack.’’ 

Luc Poignant, a police union official, told LCI television in an interview aired Tuesday that about a dozen people went into the Roma camp late Friday in the suburb of Pierrefitte-sur-Seine north of Paris after an apartment was burgled.. Police found the victim abandoned by a road. 

Poignant said the young man was put into a medically induced coma ‘‘because he was in so much pain.’’ 

Anti-racism groups say violence in France is rising against Roma migrants, also known as Gypsies, who come primarily from Eastern Europe and are often blamed for petty crime.  

Many live in makeshift camps on the sides of highways or in vacant lots, lacking running water or electricity. Without regular documentation of their residence, they have a hard time enrolling children into school, applying for subsidised housing, getting health care through the national system or finding permanent work. 

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, in charge of French police, condemned the attackers. ‘‘It is exclusively up to security forces to ensure that public order is respected,’’ he said in a statement.


Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content