Belgian priest admits abuse

Last updated 00:18 30/12/2010

Relevant offers


Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over shot down jet Britain's David Cameron says it's time to bomb militants in Syria Paris attacks: US band wants to reopen Bataclan Paris attacks: Entertainment industry asks for 50 million in government help Company director hid in wardrobe after crashing her car while drunk Intel employee paid friend to call in bomb threat so he didn’t have to go to work Paris attacks: Terrorists were on a list sent to Belgium last month Air rage passenger threatened cabin crew, launched racist tirade and bit police Transit system, schools reopen as Brussels cautiously eases lockdown French PM says Europe can't take in more refugees

A Belgian priest and prominent Third World development activist has admitted he sexually abused a minor 40 years ago, according to the director of the development aid organisation he founded.

The case of Francois Houtart came to light after the victim's sister came forward in reaction to a campaign to nominate the priest for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Bernard Duterme, director of Cetri, says Houtart resigned from the organisation's board in November.

Houtart, who is currently in Ecuador, didn't immediately respond to phone calls and email Wednesday, but in an interview with Belgian newspaper Le Soir, Houtart is quoted as saying he twice touched ''the intimate parts'' of a boy he describes as his cousin 40 years ago. He calls the incident ''inconsiderate and irresponsible''.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content