Towers collapse in Italian quake

Last updated 09:46 04/06/2012

Relevant offers

Europe

Suspected al-Qaeda militants arrested in Italy for Vatican plot EU rescue ships head for Libya, as migrants die also in Balkans Boy, 14, in court over alleged Melbourne Anzac Day terror attack An organ donor at just 100 minutes old Woman swallowed by London footpath British teen arrested over Australian Anzac terror plot Prince William, Kate Middleton 'not stopping at two children' Malta holds solemn funeral for migrant shipwreck victims Anzac Cove awaits pilgrims as final rehearsal rings out across Gallipoli Islamist 'plotting church attacks' in Paris

A strong earth tremor of 5.1 magnitude hit northern Italy late on Sunday (local time), in the same area struck by two deadly quakes in the last two weeks, Italy's Geophysics Institute said.

The latest shock was centred on the town of Novi di Modena, in Emilia-Romagna, the region where the two previous quakes killed more than 20 people and forced more than 14,000 to move out of their homes.

The shock was clearly felt as far away as Milan, some 200km to the north.

Italian media said the belltower of Novi di Modena had been destroyed and several buildings in nearby towns that had been damaged in the previous quakes collapsed, but none were inhabited and no casualties were reported.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content