Six journalists arrested in new hacking probe

Last updated 05:00 14/02/2013

Relevant offers

Europe

Ariana Grande Manchester Arena concert explosion caught on dashcam Musicians react to explosion at Ariana Grande Manchester Arena concert French President Macron to meet Russia's Putin in France on May 29 Ring bought for $18 at car boot sale expected to fetch $656,000 at auction Rubber duckies floated in pothole as part of British village protest Britain's threat to walk away from the EU with no deal is genuine, says Brexit minister Woman throws hot chocolate in burglar's face as he climbs through bedroom window Steven Adams' team-mate Enes Kanter 'detained at airport for political reasons' Young royals attend Pippa Middleton's wedding, a beautiful 'gun show' Arctic doomsday vault - stronghold of the world's seed supply - floods after permafrost melts

British police investigating the hacking of mobile phones to generate stories at Rupert Murdoch's now-defunct News of the World tabloid have arrested six more current and former journalists.

The phone hacking in the new arrests was believed to have taken place in 2005 and 2006, the police said.

Five suspects were arrested and taken in for questioning in London and one in Cheshire in northern England.

Operation Weeting was set up to investigate the allegation that journalists and private detectives working for the News of the World tabloid, owned by News Corp's British arm News International, repeatedly hacked into mobile phones.

Revelations the hacking extended from celebrities and politicians to crime victims, including murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, caused public outrage.

The scandal escalated into a wider crisis embroiling the top echelons of the British political establishment, media, and police, and led to Murdoch closing down the News of the World in July 2011.

The latest arrests involve a suspected conspiracy separate to the one under which charges have already been made.

Earlier this month, a senior police officer was jailed after she was found guilty of offering to sell details about the phone-hacking inquiry to the tabloid, the first person to be convicted as part of the investigation.

Prime Minister David Cameron's former media chief Andy Coulson, who was editor of the News of the World between 2003 and 2007, and Rebekah Brooks, the former boss of News International and a confidante of Murdoch, are among those charged with criminal offences.

Last week, News International agreed to settle most outstanding civil lawsuits brought against it by phone hacking victims, including actor Hugh Grant and Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content