British man electrocuted while using charging iPhone in the bath

Richard Bull was electrocuted after his charging phone came into contact with his bath water.
REUTERS

Richard Bull was electrocuted after his charging phone came into contact with his bath water.

A British man's electrocution death while charging his iPhone as he took a bath has sparked a warning from a coroner to other phone users.

Richard Bull, 32, died in December last year at his home in London.

He had plugged his phone into a charger, which was connected an extension cord out to his house's hallway, so he could use it in the bathtub while it charged, The Sun reported.

Bull was believed to have rested his phone on his chest when it came into contact with the water, electrocuting him.

READ MORE:
US family sues Apple over FaceTime's role in fatal car crash
French man sues Uber for ruining his marriage
UK truck driver kills mum, kids after crashing while on phone

 

Bull's wife discovered him with severe burns on his chest, arm and hand, a coroner's inquest heard.

His injuries were so bad that she initially thought he had been attacked by an intruder.

Paramedics pronounced Bull dead on their arrival at the family's home.

Coroner Dr Sean Cummings ruled Bull's death was an accident, but issued a warning to users - and said he would also contact iPhone manufacturer Apple with his concerns.

Ad Feedback

Bull's family were concerned the same thing could happen to others.

"We can all be careless at times," his brother, Andrew Bull, said.

"You don't think there is enough electricity to do this, but there is."

 - Stuff

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback