Threat to kill Prince Harry leads to jail

Last updated 06:41 11/02/2014

Relevant offers

Europe

Saudi Arabian king leaves France after holiday controversy Family secret 'led to Jack the Ripper' Members of Osama Bin Laden's family killed in plane crash MH370: Airplane debris arrives in France for investigation Bin Laden family's private plane misses runway, crashes killing four in UK MH370: La Reunion, a small community suddenly the centre of big news MH370: Analysis on La Reunion plane debris to begin Wednesday Cries of corruption follow Serbia's bouncing lottery ball Google fighting French order to apply 'right to be forgotten' outside Europe Scottish police officer under fire for NZ holiday snap of children with guns

A British Muslim convert who told police he wanted to kill Prince Harry has been jailed for three years after pleading guilty to threatening murder, police say.
 
Ashraf Islam, 31, was told by the judge who sentenced him at Isleworth Crown Court that his plan had been "vague and unlikely to succeed", but he nevertheless posed a danger to the public, according to reports in British media.
 
Police said Islam, who was born Mark David Townley and changed his name around 2010 after converting to Islam, had entered a police station in west London on May 23, 2013, and said he intended to kill Prince Harry the following day.
 
Police searched the hotel room, where he had just checked in after flying into London from Thailand, and seized his laptop. They found no weapon. Islam, originally from Belfast in Northern Ireland, had no fixed abode at the time.
 
Media reported that Islam had said he felt he had a "moral right to judge" Prince Harry, a captain in the British army, because he disagreed with the actions of the military.
 
Prince Harry, grandson to Queen Elizabeth and fourth in line to the throne, has carried out two tours of duty in Afghanistan, the most recent as an attack helicopter pilot.
 
Islam's defence lawyer told the court he had a personality disorder, according to media reports.
 
Islam made the threat on the day after soldier Lee Rigby was murdered in broad daylight by two British Muslim converts on a busy street in southeast London close to an army barracks.
 
News of the killing and its aftermath dominated British media headlines for days. The killers, Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale, were convicted of murder on December 19 and will be sentenced on February 20.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content