Massacre memorial site 'ludicrous'

BEN HEATHER
Last updated 15:56 19/03/2014
Sharidyn Svebakk
Reuters
VICTIM: Sharidyn Svebakk.
Anders Behring Breivik
STOYAN NENOV/ Reuters
KILLER: Anders Behring Breivik.

Relevant offers

Europe

Pope pays sombre visit to Auschwitz, and prays at saint's cell Who was the man behind Germany's Ansbach terror attack? Explosion rocks Swedish apartment block Thief targets bikini-clad policewoman, doesn't get away with it Church attack: France had been hunting second church attacker after tipoff Murder-accused claims India Chipchase placed his hands around her neck Pope Francis misses step, falls down before Mass in Poland 'It could happen to us tomorrow': London police chief on terror attacks Boris Johnson's cat evicted after sneaking into home of UK prime minister Chilling details of France church attack as hostage speaks

The mother of the New Zealand-born girl killed in the 2011 Norway mass-shooting is unhappy families have not been consulted over the proposed memorials.

Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people when he bombed a government building in Oslo and opened fire at island youth political retreat on July 22, 2011. His youngest victim was 14-year-old Sharidyn Svebakk, who was born in Palmerston North.

Her mother, Vanessa Svebakk, doesn't think the proposed memorial should go ahead because families of the victims were not consulted.

"It should be scrapped," she told The Guardian.

"They should go back to the drawing board and start again. The choice of memorial site is ludicrous."

Three memorials are being proposed. One will cut a 3.5 metre-wide slice into a peninsula facing the island where Breivik killed 69 people, including Sharidyn.

Svebakk said it should instead be built on the island itself.

Any plans should be halted until the families are consulted, she said.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content