Toddler dials emergency number for help

Last updated 09:32 01/04/2014
telephone
telephone

Have you had a near-death experience?

Share your stories, photos and videos.

Relevant offers

Europe

UK Parliament targeted in cyber security attack Concern rises as flammable cladding found in multiple high-rises across Britain Slip of the tongue may have revealed Banksy's identity Queen Elizabeth II reported to police for failing to wear seatbelt 'No cake ever came': Brexit anniversary opens old wounds in the UK UK police charge man with terrorism-related murder after London mosque attack Manslaughter charges considered as UK police reveal Grenfell Tower fire was started by fridge Kiwi seriously injured in London mugging Overheated British schoolboys rebel against shorts ban by wearing skirts London fire: Cladding in other UK buildings 'combustible', Prime Minister Theresa May says

Riley Ward hasn't been talking for long, but the British toddler knew enough words to be able to ring for help after his mother collapsed.

When 27-year-old Dana Henry lost consciousness at home, her two-year-old son managed to dial the British emergency number 999, telling operators: "Mummy's on the floor" and "mummy's asleep".

He repeatedly said "hello" and kept operators on the line, trying to explain that his mum was on the floor.

The ambulance service managed to trace the address and paramedics rushed to Henry's home in Leicestershire, England. In hospital doctors found a large blood clot and dangerous bleed on her ovary.

The incident happened late one morning in early February and Riley is now being given an award by East Midlands Ambulance Service in England. The service thinks he is the youngest ever caller.

Henry said she had woken up with stomach pains and fell to the floor after making a cup of tea, the Daily Mail reported.

"All I remember from when it happened is the room getting smaller and smaller and then I opened my eyes when I heard a police officer trying to kick my door down," she said.

"Riley was sat on his toy box looking out of the window at the flashing blue lights. I managed to get to the door, but collapsed again."

Henry said she and partner Rob Ward had always drilled it into Riley and five-year-old sister Caitlin that they should ring 999 if ever they could not wake either of them.

Riley may have saved her life because if he had not made the emergency call, she would have kept taking pain killers hoping the problem would go away.

'It really scared me, because if I hadn't passed out and Riley hadn't rung the ambulance I might not be here today," Henry said.

The first paramedic on the scene was Paul Staples.

"When I got to Dana's house, Riley was stood at the door with a big smile," he said.

"He was really interested in all my equipment and kept coming to check on his mummy."

The emergency number in New Zealand is 111.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content