No Kiwis hurt in attack on military camp

17:00, Aug 06 2014

The eight New Zealand troops at an Afghan camp where a US general was killed are safe, the Defence Force says.

A man wearing an Afghan military uniform opened fire at Camp Qargha, a British-run military academy near Kabul, killing a United States two-star general and wounding at least 14 soldiers.

The Defence Force confirmed no New Zealanders were involved in the incident. "All eight New Zealand personnel working at the Afghan National Army Officer Training Academy at Camp Qargha are safe," the Defence Force said in a statement.

"The NZDF expresses its deepest sympathies to the countries who have lost personnel in this attack."

Last year a New Zealand soldier and two Australian troops were involved in another insider attack at the academy, when they were shot at by an Afghan soldier. The New Zealand soldier was hit in the foot by the shrapnel, and one of the Australians suffered arm injuries. 

Advertisement

Stuff