Gaza ceasefire extended by five days

REUTERS
Last updated 18:46 14/08/2014

A ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza has been extended for a further five days, following indirect talks between the two sides in Cairo. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

Related Links

Gaza deal pursued with ceasefire clock ticking UN panel to look into Gaza 'war crimes' Hamas wants Israel to allow Gaza airport Israel destroyed 63 Gaza mosques

Relevant offers

Middle East

War in Syria damages 290 heritage sites: UN The true story of 'Maya', the CIA analyst who hunted down Osama bin Laden Yazidis cheer on Iraqi mountain as Islamic Siege broken US plumber's truck in the hands of Syrian jihadists Aussie jets drop more than 100 Iraq bombs Air strikes kill IS group leaders in Iraq After school attack, Pakistan vows to pursue militants outside its borders A trail of carnage is seen inside Pakistan army school after massacre Taliban gunmen kill 141, mostly children 180 soldiers, jihadists killed in battle for Syria base

A five-day extension of a Gaza truce appears to be holding despite a rocky start, fanning cautious optimism of progress in Israel-Hamas negotiations in Cairo.

It’s the longest cease-fire yet since the war broke out last month in the Gaza Strip.

Violence briefly spiked as the extension of the truce was announced shortly before midnight Wednesday.  Israel’s military says eight Hamas rockets were launched at Israel but that the firing stopped in the early hours Thursday.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered Israeli forces to "respond" to two instances of rocket fire by Gaza militants at Israel in violation of the truce yesterday. The rockets caused no damage or casualties, and one was shot down by Israel's Iron Dome missile interceptor.

There were no reported casualties in the Israeli air raids that targeted at least three sites in northern Gaza, witnesses and Hamas said. Hamas denied involvement in one of the rocket shootings which sent sirens wailing across southern Israel.

Palestinian negotiators in Cairo expressed optimism that a deal to create a sustainable roadmap for the war-torn territory could soon be achieved. 

As truce negotiations dragged on yesterday, Israel moved forces closer to Gaza and called up additional reservist troops, Israeli media reported. The military said its forces were "moved around on a routine basis" and would not elaborate.

In announcing the truce extension, Azzam Al-Ahmed, the head Palestinian negotiator in Egypt and a member of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas's mainstream Fatah faction, said the ceasefire had been extended by five days.

Abu Mujahed, spokesman for leading Gaza militant group the Popular Resistance Committees, said Palestinian factions had "accepted" that proposal.

The extension came in lieu of a broader deal which the parties meeting in indirect talks brokered by Egypt failed to reach in time for the earlier truce deadline.

A Palestinian official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Egypt had presented a new proposal for a permanent truce agreement that addressed a major Palestinian demand for a lifting of the Israeli and Egyptian blockades of the Gaza Strip.

Israel and Egypt harbour deep security concerns about Hamas, the dominant Islamist group in the small, Mediterranean coastal enclave, complicating any deal on easing border restrictions.

Reuters and AP

Ad Feedback
Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content