Family pleaded for mercy before beheading

Last updated 14:07 21/08/2014
foley ladndscape

PAYING RESPECTS: A sign outside a shop remembers James Foley in his hometown of Rochester, New Hampshire, USA on Wednesday.

EXECUTED: Journalist James Foley.

Related Links

US tried and failed to rescue hostages in Syria Why a beheading? A look at Islamic State's tactic US unyielding despite threat to kill another hostage Mum proud of beheaded US photojournalist Beheading 'shocks world's conscience' - Obama

Relevant offers

Middle East

Dozens dead in Afghanistan violence as Ramadan begins More than 30 migrants, mostly toddlers, drown off Libya - rescuers Donald Trump greeted with selfies and politics on arrival in Israel Donald Trump says Iran must stop funding and training 'terrorists and militias' immediately US President Donald Trump has new reasons to hope for Middle East peace In US presidential first, Donald Trump prays at Jerusalem's Western Wall US President Donald Trump tells Middle East to step up in fight over 'Islamist extremism' US President Donald Trump seeks 'reset' with Islamic world Donald Trump says big Saudi Arabia arms deal is a job producer Melania Trump shuns headscarf, and Donald's old advice, in Saudi Arabia

After months of silence from the captors of American journalist James Foley, on the night of August 13, his family received a chilling message: Foley would be executed in retaliation for US air strikes on the militant group Islamic State.

The family passed the message on to the US government.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, which handles cases involving kidnapped American citizens, helped craft a response, pleading for mercy, said Phil Balboni, chief executive of GlobalPost, the Boston-based online news publication that employed Foley.

''It was an appeal for mercy. It was a statement that Jim was an innocent journalist'' who respected the people of Syria, where he was held, Balboni said.

Foley's family and friends hoped the militants were bluffing and wanted a ransom, he said.

Six days later, on Tuesday, Islamic State militants stunned America with a gruesome video posted on YouTube showing the beheading of Foley, 40, by a masked, black-clad man who also threatened to kill a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff.

Foley's death, highlighting how Syria has become perhaps the most dangerous country on earth for journalists, followed intense efforts by GlobalPost and others to identify his captors, and despite brief e-mail exchanges between the militants and his family in late 2013 about a possible ransom.

The White House declined to comment on the warning about Foley but it said special operations troops were sent to Syria earlier this summer on a secret mission to rescue American hostages, including Foley, but did not find them.

''Since his capture, we have been using every tool at our disposal to try to bring him home to his family and to gather any and all information we could get about his whereabouts, his condition and the threats he faced,'' White House spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said.

Obama vowed on Wednesday that the United States would keep supporting Iraqis in the fight against Islamic State.


Foley, who had previously been detained in Libya, was abducted on 22 November 2012 - on the US Thanksgiving holiday - near the city of Binnish in Syria's Idlib province, as he and his colleagues made their way toward the Turkish border.

Who initially seized Foley has been a subject of dispute. Some signs pointed to the Shabiha, militias loyal to the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Balboni said that early on, there were strong indications   Foley had been transferred to the Syrian capital Damascus. That information later proved incorrect.

The first solid information about Foley's condition, he said, came nearly a year after his abduction, from a returning European jihadist, or Islamic fighter, who had been with the American journalist in the city of Aleppo.

Ad Feedback

This person provided confirmation that Foley was alive, as well as first-hand details of his captivity and his captors.

Foley was moved a number of times, and passed through the hands of various captors, Balboni said.

Didier Francois, a veteran French war correspondent who was held with Foley and released with three other French hostages in April, said he had little doubt Foley was under the control of Islamic State or its affiliates the entire time.

''The guy who killed him is the guy who took him from the start,'' Francois told Reuters.

Francois said he had been held with Foley from last August until April and that he was also held almost nine months with Sotloff.

''He was an extraordinary person with a strong character. He was a pleasant companion in detention because he was solid and collective. He never gave in to the pressure and violence of the kidnappers,'' Francois said of Foley.

Francois, who said he shared a cell with Foley beginning in October, said he had not spoken about Sotloff or Foley until now because the kidnappers had threatened to kill the remaining hostages if they did.

Another released Frenchmen, Nicolas Henin, told France's Express magazine that Foley had been treated worse than the other captives, after militants searched his computer and discovered his brother was in the US Air Force.

''Because of that and as he was American he got extra bad treatment. He became the whipping boy of the jailers, but he remained implacable,'' Henin told the magazine.


In November 2013, Foley's family received its first e-mail message from the journalist's captors, demanding a ransom and offering proof he was alive, Balboni said. He did not specify the size of the ransom request.

That exchange did not last long. ''Very few'' messages were passed, he said. ''They were not loquacious,'' Balboni said of the captors. ''They made their demands.''

The communications channel soon went silent, and until last Wednesday, there were no further messages to the family.

The US government says it has a firm policy of not paying ransom in kidnapping cases, or encouraging third parties to do so, a policy that differs from many European governments.

At the time, Islamic State was ''busy, busy releasing and ransoming other hostages,'' Balboni said. ''We believed that the American and British captives were always going to be held for last.''


Foley was one of dozens of journalists abducted in Syria during its three-and-a-half-year civil war.

Not all of their names have been made public at the request of their families or news organisations that employ them. They include Sotloff and Austin Tice, who disappeared near Damascus in August 2012. Nothing has been heard of Tice since a brief video uploaded to the Internet in September 2012.

The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said it has documented 80 journalists who have been abducted in Syria since 2011, including 65 in the last year alone. Many of them are native Syrians, said CPJ's deputy director Robert Mahoney.

''We have never documented so many kidnappings in a single conflict as we have in Syria,'' Mahoney said.

About two dozen journalists are still believed held captive in Syria, with several others missing.

Until Foley's murder, militants had kept most foreign hostages alive in hopes of securing a ransom or political gain, Mahoney said.   

- Reuters


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content