Islamic militants' wanted $158m ransom for Foley

Last updated 06:25 22/08/2014
Reuters

Raw footage of US Attorney General Eric Holder announcing the Justice Department has opened a federal investigation into the death of journalist James Foley, beheaded by Islamist militants.

Relevant offers

Middle East

Tomb of Jesus reopens to public after US$4 million restoration Conflicting accounts over mass deaths in Iraq as battle rages on Yemenis protest on second anniversary of Saudi intervention Taken hostage in Iraq by Saddam Hussein, I hadn't returned - until now Australia selling military equipment to Saudi Arabia during brutal Yemen conflict Free WiFi and meditation as airlines grapple with laptop ban US-Israeli teen arrested over bomb threats to Jewish centres in NZ, US and Australia Families of September 11 attack victims sue Saudi Arabia US drone kills militant blamed for attack on Sri Lanka cricket team in Pakistan Egypt says ancient colossus pulled from slum likely not Pharaoh Ramses II

A US official says the Islamic State militants who beheaded American journalist James Foley in Syria had demanded €100 million (NZ$158 million) in ransom for his release.

A second US official says the demands were sent in emails to Foley's family in New Hampshire. Both officials spoke overnight (NZ time) condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the ransom demands by name.

Separately, Foley's former employer said that the militants first demanded the money late last year.

GlobalPost CEO Philip Balboni also indicated that European governments paid far less to have the Islamic State release their hostages.

US policy prohibits the government negotiating with terrorists, including paying ransom.

A video of Foley's beheading was released on websites earlier this week.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content