'Undetectable' al Qaeda bomb plot thwarted

ADAM GOLDMAN AND MATT APUZZO
Last updated 11:50 08/05/2012
An FBI file photo of Fahd al-Quso said to have beenkilled in an airstrike in the southern Shabwa province of Yemen.
AIRSTRIKE VICTIM: An FBI file photo of Fahd al-Quso said to have beenkilled in an airstrike in the southern Shabwa province of Yemen.
Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab
UNDERWEAR BOMBER: Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab.

Relevant offers

Middle East

Hostage's wife in video plea to Islamic State captors Islamic State treated these truckies well. Why? Islamic State fighters hit by strikes near Turkey Gaza war deals blow to Israel's tourism UN Security Council impotent, McCully says Islamic State: The sitcom Suicide blast as Afghan president inaugurated Afghanistan swears in new leader Egyptian militants copy Islamic State's brutual methods Australia trains for Islamic State mission

The CIA thwarted an ambitious plot by al Qaeda's affiliate in Yemen to destroy a US-bound airliner using a bomb with a sophisticated new design around the one-year anniversary of the killing of Osama bin Laden, US officials said today (NZ time).

The plot involved an upgrade of the underwear bomb that failed to detonate aboard a jetliner over Detroit on Christmas 2009. This new bomb was also designed to be used in a passenger's underwear, but this time al Qaeda developed a more refined detonation system, US officials said.

The FBI is examining the latest bomb to see whether it could have passed through airport security and brought down an airplane, officials said. They said the device did not contain metal, meaning it probably could have passed through an airport metal detector. But it was not clear whether new body scanners used in many airports would have detected it.

Senator Dianne Feinstein, D-California, who heads the Senate Intelligence Committee, told reporters early today (NZ time) that she had been briefed about an "undetectable" device that was "going to be on a US-bound airliner."

There were no immediate plans to change security procedures at US airports.

The would-be suicide bomber, based in Yemen, had not yet picked a target or bought a plane ticket when the CIA stepped in and seized the bomb, officials said. It's not immediately clear what happened to the alleged bomber.

White House spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said US President Barack Obama learned about the plot in April and was assured the device posed no threat to the public.

"The president thanks all intelligence and counterterrorism professionals involved for their outstanding work and for serving with the extraordinary skill and commitment that their enormous responsibilities demand," Hayden said.

The operation unfolded even as the White House and Department of Homeland Security assured the American public that they knew of no al Qaeda plots against the US around the anniversary of bin Laden's death. The operation was carried out over the past few weeks, officials said.

"We have no credible information that terrorist organisations, including al Qaeda, are plotting attacks in the US to coincide with the anniversary of bin Laden's death," White House press secretary Jay Carney said on April 26.

Ad Feedback

On May 1, the Department of Homeland Security said, "We have no indication of any specific, credible threats or plots against the US tied to the one-year anniversary of bin Laden's death."

The White House did not explain those statements Monday.

The AP learned about the thwarted plot last week but agreed to White House and CIA requests not to publish it immediately because the sensitive intelligence operation was still under way. Once officials said those concerns were allayed, the AP decided to disclose the plot today (NZ time) despite requests from the Obama administration to wait for an official announcement tomorrow.

The FBI and Department of Homeland Security acknowledged the existence of the bomb today (NZ time), but there were no immediate plans to adjust security procedures at airports. Other officials, who were briefed on the operation, insisted on anonymity to discuss details of the plot, many of which the US has not officially acknowledged.

"The device never presented a threat to public safety, and the US government is working closely with international partners to address associated concerns with the device," the FBI said in a statement.

It's not clear who built the bomb, but, because of its sophistication and its similarity to the Christmas bomb, counterterrorism officials suspected it was the work of master bomb maker Ibrahim Hassan al-Asiri or one of his protégées. Al-Asiri constructed the first underwear bomb and two others that al Qaeda built into printer cartridges and shipped to the US on cargo planes in 2010.

Both of those bombs used a powerful industrial explosive. Both were nearly successful.

The operation is an intelligence victory for the United States and a reminder of al Qaeda's ambitions, despite the death of bin Laden and other senior leaders. Because of instability in the Yemeni government, the terrorist group's branch there has gained territory and strength. It has set up terrorist camps and, in some areas, even operates as a de facto government.

But along with the gains there also have been losses. The group has suffered significant setbacks as the CIA and the US military focus more on Yemen. On Sunday, Fahd al-Quso, a senior al Qaeda leader, was hit by a missile as he stepped out of his vehicle along with another operative in the southern Shabwa province of Yemen.

Al-Quso, 37, was on the FBI's most wanted list, with a US$5 million (NZ$6.28m) reward for information leading to his capture. He was indicted in the US for his role in the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole in the harbor of Aden, Yemen, in which 17 American sailors were killed and 39 injured.

Al-Quso was believed to have replaced Anwar al-Awlaki as the group's head of external operations. Al-Awlaki was killed in a US airstrike last year.

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content