Afghan forces thwart insurgent attack on Kabul

Last updated 17:15 02/08/2012

Relevant offers

Middle East

11 dead, dozens hurt after truck bomb explodes at police HQ in Turkey Death toll in Somalia beach restaurant attack rises to 10 US Navy says Iranian boats harassed US ship in Strait of Hormuz Turkish tanks roll on scorched Syrian earth One student dead, 14 wounded so far in Kabul university attack Turkish tanks roll into Syria, pushing Islamic State out of key border town NZ pushes, but more silence as UN Security Council fails to reach agreement on Syria Israel strikes Gaza after rocket targets 'people in middle of summer vacation' Has New Zealand held back on the Security Council because of Helen Clark? Syrian crisis is the biggest thing to happen in decades

Afghan security forces killed at least eight insurgents during an early morning raid in Kabul on Thursday, with authorities saying they had thwarted a Taliban mass attack on the capital after a seven-hour gun battle.

Soldiers from Afghanistan's intelligence agency, the National Directorate of Security (NDS), launched the raid in darkness, entering a building about an hour after midnight in Kabul's Pul-e Charkhi district which the insurgents were using as a base.

"We have already killed eight insurgents and also seized explosives.

They aimed to enter a building in Kabul and launch a combined attack on security forces, government offices or offices belonging to foreigners," an NDS spokesman told Reuters.

The Taliban issued a statement denying that Thursday's operation was against their fighters, although the insurgents often play down their defeats and inflate successes.

Taliban militants launched a big attack in central Kabul on April 15, occupying a high-rise construction site and pounding the city's diplomatic and business centre with rocket-propelled grenades and small-arms fire until they were killed.

On June 22, Afghan security forces fought a day-long battle with militants after a Taliban attack on a lakeside hotel on the outskirts of Kabul.

But security forces and NATO-led foreign troops say the sporadic attacks do not point to weaknesses in Afghan forces and intelligence ahead of a withdrawal by most foreign combat troops to be completed by 2014.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content