Wedding gunfire cuts cable, 23 electrocuted

Last updated 22:55 31/10/2012

Relevant offers

Middle East

Saudi Arabia bombs Yemen as fears grow of a land invasion Saudi Arabia, allies launch air strikes on Houthi rebels in Yemen - Saudi envoy Netanyahu apology fails to appease Israel's Arab voters Syrian rebels seize ancient town of Busra Sham Brutal killing of Afghan woman triggers anger, soul-searching in Kabul Islamic State claims suicide bombing in Libya's Benghazi Australian teen taken off plane headed to Middle East Saudi Arabia moving military equipment to near Yemen border Jordan, Russia sign $13bn nuclear deal Syrian people feel abandoned as world focuses on Islamic State

Celebratory gunfire at a wedding party in eastern Saudi Arabia on Tuesday night (Wednesday NZT) brought down an electric cable, killing 23 people, a local civil defence official says.

"At the wedding, the cable fell on a metal door and the 23 people who died were all electrocuted," Eastern Province official Abdullah Khashman said by phone.

A photograph of the aftermath of the accident, published on local newspapers' websites showed a large courtyard strewn with fallen chairs and a pole in the middle supporting cables carrying lightbulbs.

All those killed were from the same tribe, Khashman said. Thirty others were injured in the incident near Abqaiq, a centre of the Saudi energy industry.

Saudi Arabia banned the shooting of firearms at weddings, a popular tradition in tribal areas of the conservative Islamic kingdom, last month.

Eastern Province governor Prince Mohammed bin Fahd ordered an investigation into the incident, the official Saudi Press Agency reported.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content