Iranian blogger 'tortured to death'

Last updated 12:44 10/11/2012
Sattar Beheshti
OUTSPOKEN: Sattar Beheshti was a prominent Iranian blogger.

Relevant offers

Middle East

Islamic State claims responsiblity for Egypt attacks, 27 dead Lack of intelligence threatens US armed drones in Yemen Islamic State hostages' deadline passes Did Michelle Obama really offend? Skull discovery changes neanderthal thinking ISIS sets deadline for hostage exchange Did Michelle Obama's naked head really upset Saudis? Israel slams Turkish criticism as inappropriate at Holocaust memorial service Jordan makes Islamic State a counteroffer: Your bomber for our pilot Israeli soldiers dead as fighting flares along Israel-Lebanon border

There are fears an Iranian man who received death threats due to his anti-government blog was tortured to dead while in police custody.

Amnesty International and European governments have urged Tehran to investigate the death of Sattar Beheshti, 35, who was arrested in his home southwest of the capital on October 28. His body was handed back to his family on Wednesday.

"Fears that Sattar Beheshti died as a result of torture in an Iranian detention facility, after apparently lodging a complaint about torture are very plausible, given Iran's track record when it comes to deaths in custody," Amnesty said.

Beheshti was not well known in a country where media is tightly controlled and blogging has become one of the few outlets - albeit a risky one - for criticising the state.

The day before his arrest he said he had been threatened.

"They sent me a message saying, 'Tell your mother she will soon be wearing black because you don't shut your big mouth'," Amnesty quoted him as saying.

Iran clamped down on dissent after mass protests against the disputed re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in 2009. Iranian authorities have acknowledged three people arrested in the post-election unrest were killed in custody.

British Foreign Office minister Alistair Burt said he was shocked by the case.

"Beheshti's only crime appears to be advocating the defence of human rights on the internet," he said in a statement.

"If these reports are true, this is yet another disgraceful attempt by the Iranian Government to crush any form of free expression by its citizens."

France and Britain have called on Tehran to investigate.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content