Sars illness claims another victim

Last updated 06:39 27/05/2013

Relevant offers

Middle East

Air strikes hit Aleppo hospital, killing dozens, Syrian monitors say Australian woman 'abducted' by armed men in Afghanistan - reports Syrian air strikes leave dozens dead, including three children Female suicide bomber wounds 13 in northwestern Turkish city Bursa Targeted air strikes kill five rescue workers near Syria's Aleppo 60 Minutes involved in child abduction case in Turkey before Beirut Saudi Arabia, world's top oil exporter, has a plan to live without its 'addiction' Dubai pushes the pedal to the metal on driverless cars Skies clear for Gallipoli dawn service Australian and New Zealand troops mark Anzac Day in Iraq

Saudi Arabia's Health Ministry says a woman has died from a new respiratory virus related to Sars, bringing the total number of deaths in the kingdom to 18.

Saudi Arabia remains the center for the virus as investigators from the World Health Organization seek more clues about its origins and how it is spread.

Last week, WHO officials said at least 22 people have died from the virus worldwide out of 44 cases.

The Saudi Health Ministry announced the virus' latest victim in a statement on Sunday (local time). The ministry says a foreigner also died of the virus in Saudi Arabia last Tuesday after having pneumonia-like symptoms. No other details were released.

The virus has been compared to Sars, a respiratory infection that surfaced in China in late 2002.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content