Syria aid resolution still looks distant

ANTHONY DEUTSCH AND MICHELLE NICHOLS
Last updated 16:23 06/02/2014
Syria refugees
Reuters
FLEEING VIOLENCE: Syrian refugees wait to enter Turkey on the Syrian-Turkish border.

Relevant offers

Middle East

Yemeni senior intelligence official kidnapped Pope Francis's Christmas Eve call to Iraqi refugees War in Syria damages 290 heritage sites: UN The true story of 'Maya', the CIA analyst who hunted down Osama bin Laden Yazidis cheer on Iraqi mountain as Islamic Siege broken US plumber's truck in the hands of Syrian jihadists Aussie jets drop more than 100 Iraq bombs Air strikes kill IS group leaders in Iraq After school attack, Pakistan vows to pursue militants outside its borders A trail of carnage is seen inside Pakistan army school after massacre

As Western and Arab nations prepared to push for a UN Security Council resolution calling for better access to aid in war-torn Syria, Russia said on Wednesday that now was not the right time for such a move.

The United Nations says some 9.3 million Syrians, nearly half the population, need help and UN aid chief Valerie Amos has repeatedly expressed frustration that violence and red tape have slowed the delivery of humanitarian assistance to a trickle.

"We're against moving to a resolution now on the Security Council. That's as clear as I can put it," Russia's UN Ambassador, Vitaly Churkin, told reporters. "It's not a good time to have any resolution discussed in the Security Council."

Western members of the 15-member Security Council have been considering a resolution on aid for almost a year. After months of talks, the council eventually made a non-binding statement on October 2 urging more access to aid.

But that statement produced only a little administrative progress, such as visas for aid workers and clearance for convoys. No action has been taken on big issues such as the demilitarisation of schools and hospitals, and access to besieged and hard-to-reach communities.

After a first round of peace talks in Geneva last week failed to reach a deal on aid to some 2500 Syrians trapped in the besieged Old City of Homs, Western and Arab nations said they planned to press for a legally binding resolution.

Western council diplomats, speaking on condition of anonymity, said a draft resolution could be circulated among council members as early as this week.

However, Churkin made Russia's position clear on Wednesday, saying, "we believe it's a wrong move".

RUSSIAN VETO

The United Nations says more than 100,000 people have been killed in Syria's conflict, which began in March 2011 with popular protests against President Bashar al-Assad and spiraled into civil war after a crackdown by security forces.

Russia, a close ally of Syria, and China have used their Security Council veto power three times to prevent action against Assad backed by the remaining three veto powers - the United States, Britain and France.

Western council diplomats said a draft resolution would include most aspects of the council's October statement, which urged Syria to allow cross-border aid deliveries and called on the combatants to allow pauses in fighting to help humanitarian aid convoys. The draft would also call for access to besieged areas such as Homs.

Ad Feedback

"We are determined to move ahead. We expect to circulate the text of a resolution this week," said a senior U.N. diplomat. "We're not aiming for a Russian veto. We're aiming for a resolution that everybody can agree. That is what we want."

But Churkin called for more work before considering a resolution on aid access.

"We believe hard, pragmatic and purposeful work is necessary in order to have a practical result," he said. "We have been working very hard on this with the humanitarian agencies, with Valerie Amos, and I think some results have been achieved.

Amos, who has been calling for stronger action by the Security Council, is expected to brief the council on the situation in Syria next week.

WEAPONS DEADLINE MISSED

Syria on Wednesday missed a deadline to hand over all the toxic materials it declared to the world's chemical weapons watchdog, putting the programme several weeks behind schedule and jeopardising a final June 30 deadline.

At the same time, opposition activists say the Syrian air force is attacking the country's biggest city, Aleppo, with barrel bombs, forcing many to flee. Turkey was turning away some of those refugees because camps were now full.

Under a deal reached in October between Russia and the United States, which helped avert a US-led missile strike against the government of President Bashar al-Assad, Syria agreed to give up its entire stockpile of chemical weapons by February 5.

Russia said on Tuesday its ally Damascus would ship more chemicals soon, but Western diplomats said they saw no indications that further shipments were pending.

Syria has said it would submit a handover timetable to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), which won the Nobel Peace Prize last year, but gave no indication of when that would happen.

There have been no shipments since January 27 and the latest deadline was missed, said OPCW spokesman Michael Luhan. "It's a status quo until we get this plan."

In Washington, White House spokesman Jay Carney said the United States was "absolutely not" concerned that the chemical weapons agreement was falling apart, but added that "Syria must abide by its commitments."

"I would note that Russia has said it expects the Assad regime to deliver a substantial portion of its chemical weapons stockpile in the relatively near future. And we obviously believe that's very important," Carney said.

Carney added that Russia "obviously has a great deal at stake" in the Syrian government fulfilling its responsibilities under the US-Russian agreement.

Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal al-Meqdad said on Wednesday Syria was trying to meet its obligations.

"Syria is proceeding with all determination, strength and credibility to fully implement the agreements with the UN-OPCW," the Syrian national news agency SANA quoted him as saying.

In an apparent reference to clearing a road through disputed territory to the northern port of Latakia for shipment abroad, Meqdad said "there can be no leniency at all when it comes to transporting chemical weapons out of Syria."

British Prime Minister David Cameron said he was worried that the chemical weapons handover was behind schedule, and British diplomats said they planned to raise the matter at the United Nations Security Council on Thursday.

"Britain will continue to put pressure on all parties to make sure the chemical weapons are produced and destroyed," Cameron told parliament in London.

MUSTARD GAS

Syria had already missed a December 31 deadline to relinquish the most poisonous chemical agents, including mustard gas and sarin precursors.

So far, Syria has transported slightly more than 4 per cent of the 1300 metric tons it reported to the OPCW. The two small shipments of chemicals are being stored on a Danish vessel in the Mediterranean.

Under the US-Russian agreement, prompted by a sarin gas attack near Damascus that killed hundreds of civilians, Syria has until June 30, or another five months, to completely eliminate its chemical weapons programme.

Washington blames the poison attacks on the Assad government and threatened military retaliation.

Damascus has blamed the delay on security problems and the threat of attacks by rebels on road transports to the northern port of Latakia. It has requested additional armour and communications equipment.

But the United States and the United Nations, which is jointly overseeing the destruction programme with the OPCW, said last week Syria has all the equipment it needs to carry out the operation and should proceed as quickly as possible.

The next major deadline is March 31, by when the most toxic substances are supposed to be destroyed outside Syria, on a special US cargo vessel, the Cape Ray.

On Thursday, the head of the joint mission, Sigrid Kaag, will brief the United Nations about the operation in New York.

SECURITY COUNCIL

With the UN Security Council divided over imposing sanctions against Syria, some diplomats believe the threat of force may be the only way to get Assad to relinquish his weapons of mass destruction.

US official said the use of force has never been taken off the table, but French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius went a step further in recent comments.

He told Europe 1: "It's not on the agenda, but when you have a government ... when a government makes commitments before the international community, it must respect those commitments."

Asked if that was a warning, he replied: "Yes."

On the border with Turkey, Syrian families without passports were being turned away because a refugee influx caused by intensified "barrel bombing" in Aleppo filled up its camps, the Turkish Humanitarian Relief Foundation (IHH) said.

One of the Syrian opposition's most vocal allies, Turkey has taken in hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees.

But resources have been stretched after Assad's forces intensified attacks on Aleppo, dropping barrel bombs and slowly winning ground against rebels weakened by weeks of infighting.

"Camps in Kilis are at full capacity unfortunately, but there are free spaces in our other camps," a press officer for Turkey's state AFAD disaster agency said.

Ankara is sticking to its "open border" policy and refugees will be accepted "following necessary security controls", the press officer said.

A camp inside Syria near the Syrian Bab al-Salam border crossing, 50 km north of Aleppo, is also full, IHH's Kilis media officer said, adding that numbers there had risen to 25,000 from 14,000 in the last week.

Turkish police at Oncupinar border post across from Bab al-Salam said restrictions applied to those without passports, but that the crossing was open, with no big crowd at the gate.

The use of barrel bombs - oil drums or cylinders packed with explosives and metal fragments dropped from helicopters - was condemned by Syria's opposition delegation and its Western backers at last month's peace talks in Switzerland.

Further east, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that for the last 18 days Turkish authorities have prevented more than 2000 refugees, including women and children, from crossing into Turkey after fleeing the city of Raqqa.

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content