Syrian troops ambush, kill at least 150 rebels

LIZ SLY AND AHMED RAMADAN
Last updated 14:35 27/02/2014

Relevant offers

Middle East

Key Islamic State leader killed in apparent US strike in Syria Dubai's ruler orders management shake-up after absences Isis buried thousands in 72 mass graves New Isis propaganda video shows child soldiers participating in execution 11 dead, dozens hurt after truck bomb explodes at police HQ in Turkey Death toll in Somalia beach restaurant attack rises to 10 Stacey Kirk: Long knives being sharpened, but can Helen Clark stay clear of the blades? US Navy says Iranian boats harassed US ship in Strait of Hormuz Turkish tanks roll on scorched Syrian earth One student dead, 14 wounded so far in Kabul university attack

Syrian troops have ambushed and killed at least 150 rebels east of Damascus in one of the deadliest single attacks against opposition fighters, according to state media, opposition groups and human rights activists.

The attack on Wednesday (local time) occurred in an area near the much-contested town of Oteibah that is frequently used by fighters to ferry arms and supplies from the Jordanian border. A journalist from the opposition Orient TV reporting from the area said that some of the men were civilians and some were fighters, and that they were all trying to escape the siege that for months has strangled the rebel-held suburbs surrounding Damascus.

About 100 civilians and 75 fighters had set out shortly after midnight, only to run into a wall of fire along one section of their route, said Hadi al-Munajeed, who spoke on the condition that his exact location not be revealed. Two hours later, 24 survivors, most of them badly wounded, returned to the location, he said.

"We heard a number of explosions, followed by shelling and the sounds of a missile launcher," he said. "It was like nothing we heard before."

The official Syrian Arab News Agency implied, however, that the men were seeking to enter the Damascus suburbs to reinforce rebels battling government advances in the mountains northwest of the city. It put the number of the dead at 175, identified all of them as "terrorists" and said most belonged to the al Qaeda-linked Jabhat al-Nusra.

The news agency posted pictures of mangled bodies strewn along what appeared to be a track leading through fields in a rural area. The bodies were of men, and some of them were wearing military uniforms and the beards favoured by many rebel fighters in Syria.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that 152 people were killed and that government troops were assisted in the ambush by fighters with the Lebanese Shiite Hezbollah movement, whose contribution has helped the regime turn the tide of the war over the past year.

The ambush came as a further setback to the rebels at a time when many opposition-held towns ringing Damascus are submitting to cease-fire deals after enduring months under siege. The rebels are also battling a new government offensive against the town of Yabroud, a key way station that gives them access to supplies and weapons from Lebanon.

- Washington Post

Ad Feedback
Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content