Fiji charges boy, 10, with manslaughter

MICHAEL FIELD
Last updated 07:33 14/02/2013

Relevant offers

South Pacific

NZ rebuilds relationship with newly democratic Fiji Fiji drops sex-assault case Kiwi pleased with Tongan police force clean out Baby dumping 'not Samoan culture' - church head Helping people see again in Fiji NZ police commissioner in Tonga sent home Seals are sexually harassing, raping penguins China's Antarctica satellite base plans spark concerns Obama says momentum building on TPPA India and China's disputes move to Fiji

Fiji police have charged a 10-year-old boy with manslaughter over the killing of a six-year-old Auckland boy last month.

Mohammed Khubeb Khan and a 14-year-old cousin, Mohammed Nabil Khan, were hit by a slug from a 12-gauge shotgun as they were playing at a new family home near Lautoka.

Khubeb was declared dead on arrival at Lautoka hospital while Nabil is still being treated.

The gun's licensed owner, 37-year-old pilot Mohammad Rizwan Khan, is also to be charged with manslaughter.

Fiji's director of public prosecutions, former Christchurch lawyer Christopher Pryde, said in a statement it wasn't an easy decision to charge the 10-year-old.

He said the courts will ultimately decide guilt or innocence but at the present, there is sufficient evidence to justify laying charges against the boy.

The 10-year-old's name has been suppressed and he will appear again on February 25 in the Lautoka Magistrate's Court.

Rizwan Khan is in custody having earlier appearing on firearms charges.

The incident occurred when the boys were in a vehicle where the gun was.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content