Ngaio Gorge slip largely cleared, should open again today
Wellington's Ngaio Gorge is expected to open again on Monday afternoon.
A massive slip came down on the busy commuter road more than two weeks ago, triggering a large clean up operation which was hampered by further slips.
Wellington City Council said it was hoped the road would reopen on Monday afternoon.
Wellington City Council spokeswoman Victoria Barton-Chapple said a cordon at the bottom of the work area had been moved up Ngaio Gorge, restoring access to all the businesses in the lower part of the area.
* Ngaio Gorge slip largely cleared, leaving big bill for ratepayers
* Ngaio Gorge slip: 3500 cubic metres cleared but much more to go
* Wellington could be as hot as Sydney unless action is taken on climate change
* Multiple slips hamper transport across Wellington
Four shipping containers were delivered to the site on Thursday and would be filled with concrete blocks as rockfall protection, as work continues.
Most of the preparation works for a temporary road adjacent to Trelissick Park were also complete with some minor cleaning and paving works planned over the weekend.
However, the repair job is going to leave ratepayers with a hefty bill.
The massive slip is one of the enduring images from a saturated July, which new council figures show resulted in 260 trees requiring urgent attention, 190 flooding events and 300 slips.
Council spokesman Richard MacLean said the council was not expecting the clean up bill to be markedly higher than previous wet and windy winters.
"Obviously the Ngaio Gorge landslide will be an exception – and it is likely the repair job there will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars minimum," he said.
Another 1100 cubic metres of rock were carted away from Ngaio Gorge on Tuesday.
The council was preparing a temporary road through the layby near Trelissick Park to allow space for the container wall in the downhill lane, and leave room for traffic in both directions during peak hours.
MacLean said the trees damaged by the storm had ranged from broken branches to some which posed a risk to safety.
They included about 100 wind-damaged trees which were removed from Prince of Wales Park.