Fireplace suspected ignition point for house blaze on Kapiti Coast, north of Wellington

Firefighters at the Kapiti Coast house.
ADAM POULOPOULOS/STUFF

Firefighters at the Kapiti Coast house.

An elderly man is in hospital after a blaze - suspected to be linked to his fireplace - ignited and spread through his roof.

Fire, police and ambulance emergency services were called on Monday to the Rimu Rd, Kapiti Coast house, north of Wellington.

The fire came as the Kapiti Coast hunkered down for another downpour on Monday, after polar winds and rain the previous week.

Fire services hook up to a water supply as they fight the Rimu Rd blaze.
Adam Poulopoulos

Fire services hook up to a water supply as they fight the Rimu Rd blaze.

Neighbour Paul Devany said he heard something happening about 9:15am.

"I heard some noise, and it was the fire brigade rolling the hose down the driveway. I came out and all I could see was smoke. The house was enveloped in smoke."

He said he thought the chimney caught fire, then something in the roof.

Firefighters at the scene of the house fire on Rimu Rd, near the intersection with Raumati Rd.
ADAM POULOPOULOS/STUFF

Firefighters at the scene of the house fire on Rimu Rd, near the intersection with Raumati Rd.

By 10am there were five fire trucks on Rimu Rd dealing with the blaze. An ambulance arrived at the scene a few minutes later.

Shortly after midday Kapiti Coast District Council said a traffic diversion between the Rimu Rd roundabout and Fiesta Grove could be in place for up to three hours.

 
Ad Feedback
Paraparaumu Fire Station officer Steve Hudson said fire fighters arrived to find the fire well ablaze - spreading through the roof and into the porch area of the property.
Hudson said he was unsure of the fire's exact cause, but it could have been fireplace-related, starting on the outside of the house and spreading into the roofing. 
There was extensive damage in the roof, and smoke damage in the interior, he said. 
Five fire trucks from Paraparaumu, Waikanae and Porirua were called to the blaze. 
An elderly male, the only person home at the time, was taken to Wellington Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation, Hudson said. 
 
 
 
 

 - Stuff

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback