Reality TV contestant dies after completing Wipeout obstacle course

The reality show Wipeout has contestants completing obstacle courses.
Supplied
The reality show Wipeout has contestants completing obstacle courses.

A contestant on Wipeout has died after completing the game show's obstacle course, authorities and sources close to the production said Friday (local time).

The man in his 30s was declared dead at a hospital shortly before 7pm Wednesday, Los Angeles County coroner's spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said. The cause of death has not been released, and the man's name was being withheld until relatives could be notified.

The reality competition show, in which contestants navigate an extreme obstacle course featuring giant balls and pitfalls that often result in spectacular crashes, ran on ABC from 2008 until 2014 and is being rebooted by TBS and production company Endemol Shine North America.

Two people close to the production said the man had completed the course on the show's set in Santa Clarita, California, when he needed medical attention. He was helped by on-site medical staff until paramedics arrived and took him to the hospital. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak publicly.

READ MORE:
* Conan O'Brien reveals his late-night set was burglarized
* Why John Cena was ready to marry Shay Shariatzadeh
* John Cena and Shay Shariatzadeh spark engagement rumors

Lisa Vanderpump's still in charge...but both the old & new casts of the Bravo reality TV show are at war. See for yourself!

The show stopped production Thursday and Friday and has a planned week off next week, they said. Its contestants undergo a medical exam before competing.

“We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family,” TBS said in a statement.

Endemol Shine released a statement saying, “We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and our thoughts are with them at this time.”

TBS announced in April that the show would be returning, and it said in September said its new hosts would be John Cena and Nicole Byer. No premiere date had been set yet.

The death was first reported by TMZ.

AP