Hugh Hefner's life in quotes
What is Hugh Hefner's legacy?
Share your stories, photos and videos.
"Life is too short to be living somebody else's dream," Hugh Hefner once said.
The founder of Playboy magazine, who died on September 28, was known for living the high life, smoking a pipe and wearing silk pyjamas.
He was also never short of a quote.
Hugh Hefner like to live the high life.
Here are some of his life lessons:
* Hugh Hefner dead at age 91
* Hugh Hefner: A life in pictures
* Hugh Hefner's son announces his father's death
* Hugh Hefner, visionary editor who created Playboy magazine, dies
1. "For me, the magazine was always the heart of what my life was all about, and the other half was living the life."
2. "Women have traditionally been either put on pedestals or damned as the source of all sexual temptation and sin. These are two sides of the same coin, since both place women in a nonhuman role. Playboy has opposed these warped sexual values and, in so doing, helped women step down from their pedestals and enjoy their natural sexuality as much as men."
3. "It's good to be selfish. But not so self-centered that you never listen to other people."
4. "My best pick-up line is 'My name is Hugh Hefner'."
5. "I would like to think that I will be remembered as someone who had some positive impact on the sociosexual values of his time. And I think I'm secure and happy in that."
6. "If you let society and your peers define who you are, you're the less for it."
7. "Sex is the driving force on the planet. We should embrace it, not see it as the enemy."
8. "Life is too short to be living somebody else's dream."
9. "I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
10. "The notion that Playboy turns women into sex objects is ridiculous. Women are sex objects. If women weren't sex objects, there wouldn't be another generation. It's the attraction between the sexes that makes the world go 'round. That's why women wear lipstick and short skirts."
11. "If you let society and your peers define who you are, you're the less for it."
12. "I'm very comfortable with the nature of life and death, and that we come to an end. What's most difficult to imagine is that those dreams and early yearnings and desires of childhood and adolescence will also disappear. But who knows? Maybe you become part of the eternal whatever.
13. "I think that sexual oppression and dictatorship go hand in hand."
14. "Part of the sexual revolution is bringing rationality to sexuality - because when you don't embrace sexuality in a normal way, you get the twisted kinds, and the kinds that destroy lives.
15. "I always think, quite frankly that pop culture is a lot more important than a lot of people realise."
16. "In my wildest dreams, I could not have imagined a sweeter life.