Star Wars Episode IX: Fans call for Taika Waititi to replace ousted director Colin Trevorrow
Twitter is calling on Taika Waititi to step up and take the reins on the ninth episode of Star Wars.
Following Wednesday's announcement that Colin Trevorrow would no longer continue directing Star Wars: Episode IX, one fan of the Thor:Ragnorak director suggested he take over the role, hoping for a Taika Waititi-styled Star Wars.
Waititi, a regular Twitter user, responded with a cheeky message that read: "Lolz. (sic) I like to complete my films."
On Tuesday, Lucasfilm said the company and Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways citing differing visions for the project.
If Waititi were to step into the role, he feared it wouldn't last long.
"I'd be fired within a week," he added in another Tweet.
One fan added they would like to see a film titled, Hunt for the Wookiepeople, while another said the world needed a "Kiwi Jedi".
Trevorrow is best known for directing Jurassic World and has been working on the ninth instalment of the space saga for some time.
Lolz. I like to complete my films. https://t.co/Uj6RgKbo9V— Taika Waititi (@TaikaWaititi) September 6, 2017
The Lucasfilm announcement gave no indication as to whether or not the shakeup would affect the film's previously set May 2019 release date.
Trevorrow was officially announced as the director of Episode IX in August of 2015 and has been co-writing the script as well. It is the final instalment in the new "main" Star Wars trilogy that began with JJ Abrams' The Force Awakens in 2015 and will continue this December with director Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi.
"Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process,'' the Lucasfilm statement read. "We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.''
I'd be fired within a week.— Taika Waititi (@TaikaWaititi) September 6, 2017
This is the latest upheaval in the Star Wars universe. Earlier this year the young Han Solo spinoff film parted ways with directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller and replaced them with Ron Howard deep into production. And in 2015, the company fired director Josh Trank from work on another Star Wars spinoff.
Extensive reshoots on the anthology film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story led to widespread speculation that director Gareth Edwards had been unofficially sidelined on that project as well.