Promise of legal action after The Game's 'fake tour' cancelled
The tour promoter behind The Game's cancelled tour is vowing legal action against the US rapper.
Weeks of confusion and bizarre posts from The Game, in which he called his Australian tour "fake" and warned fans not to buy tickets, came to and end on Wednesday when the tour was cancelled.
Tickets remained on sale for a week after The Game posted to warn his fans not to buy tickets to his Auckland show because he would not be attending. His promoter initially tried to downplay the posts, telling fans "dont [sic] panic" and saying the rapper's account had been hacked.
Publicly, promoters Tour Squad kept that line until Wednesday morning when contacted by Stuff. Then, they finally confirmed the tour would not go ahead and promised refunds and a gift for everyone who had purchased tickets for the tour due to start in less than two weeks.
Have you got tickets? Email email@example.com
* Rapper The Game announces last show in New Zealand before retiring
* Raggamuffin 2016: Rap artist The Game mistakes Australia for New Zealand
* Raggamuffin organisers "disappointed" as The Game fails to make appearance
Tour Squad director Lui Spedaliere also promised legal action was already underway against The Game, who she accused of breaking contract by not performing.
The Game earlier missed his 2016 set at Raggamuffin, reportedly because he wasn't in the country.
"We are not going to sit here and say 'OK' and take this on the chin," Spedaliere said Wednesday morning.
Speaking from Sydney, the tour promoter confirmed The Game was the first tour her company had promoted, said she thought the shows would go ahead until The Game started warning fans against buying tickets last Wednesday.
"We are not going to let him get away with burning another promoter," she said.
Spedaliere declined to comment further, citing legal problems. She said everyone who had purchased tickets would be given a refund and a code to get 20 per cent off future Tour Squad tickets for life.
Local publicists for the tour contacted by Stuff were washing their hands on the matter on Tuesday, saying questions should instead be directed towards Australian concert organisers.
It wasn't until Stuff published a story on Wednesday morning that a manager at the Logan Campbell Centre confirmed the show had been cancelled. Tickets had still been on sale on the Ticket Fairy website.
A manager at local publicity company Flawless 7 said on Tuesday had "no clue" what was happening with The Game's show.
"I don't know what's going on myself," she said. "I don't know anything, I'm sitting over here in New Zealand and they're in Australia."
Rapper The Game, whose real name is Jayceon Taylor, posted last week to say: "This tour is FAKE. I'm not scheduled to be in Austrailia [sic] until 2018. And it will not be my last tour."
Despite claiming the tour was "fake", The Game was listed as a host for one of the tour's shows on September 22 in Torrensville, Australia. The event showed on his Facebook page, the same one that he used to call the tour fake.
The September shows had been promoted as Taylor's last tour, after he announced in 2016 that his Westside Story album would be his last.
He left the post up despite promoters saying they had acted properly, and finished the post saying: "Janky promoter".
Flawless 7 issued a press release on July 13 to announce The Game's Auckland show, saying he was to perform on September 25 at the Logan Campbell Centre.
They refused to supply contact details for Tour Squad directors. Stuff attempted to make contact with the company on Facebook and via its online contact form.
Tour Squad continued to heavily promote The Game's New Zealand and Australian shows on social media and on its website.
Tickets remained on sale Wednesday morning via The Ticket Fairy website. The Tour Squad was charging $89 for tickets.
The promoters then issued a statement via Facebook in an attempt to explain the situation, arguing Tour Squad had been acting properly but did not confirm or deny if The Game would perform.
"Tour Squad has both contractual and financial proof that not only is the tour NOT FAKE but also that we have met all the required contractual obligations," it said in the statement.
Tour Squad had earlier told its Facebook followers not to worry about The Game's post, saying it was likely "a hack".
"The Games [sic] post on his FB page was made by someone else. We are unsure what has sparked this random outburst."
When The Game failed to show up for his 2016 Raggamuffin appearance it was reported he had missed his flight and got New Zealand mistaken for Australia.
Organisers announced only an hour before The Game was due on stage that he was not in the country. They said he "missed his flight" from Dubai. The Game claimed he had actually made it to Auckland but been turned away by customs, a claim denied by Raggamuffin's then New Zealand director Andrew McManus.
This time, The Game was meant to play Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Auckland and Sydney.