Alice Brine's stars of early 2000 Home and Away: Where are they now?
OPINION: Ever since I saw the Trivago lady's face, something bothered me about it.
Don't get me wrong, I love the Trivago lady.I hope to someday find someone who looks at me the same way the Trivago lady looks at the green-screen of a hotel website.
However, there was something so familiar about her face and it was annoying the shit out of me. I'd seen her somewhere before and I couldn't put my finger on it.
During a midnight wee, I realised what it was: the Trivago Lady looks exactly like Martha from Home and Away.
* Alice Brine scoffs at The Great British Bake Off
* I'm not whitesplaining why Jonah from Tonga is awful
* Happily stranded on UK's Love Island
* Survivor: Don't try too hard, that's the Kiwi way
* Alice Brine could teach Amy Schumer a thing or two about telling it how it is
"Did Martha from Home and Away become the Trivago lady?" I wondered to myself.
Grabbing my phone, I googled it right away. Turns out I was wrong, they are two different people and this whole ordeal just left me wondering, what is Martha from Home and Away doing now?
Actually what are all the stars of Home and Away doing now? I used to watch Home and Away from the ages of 9 to 15. I was young and my brain cells were still developing. Anyway, I've legit spent a whole day doing Google, Instagram, and Wikipedia research just so I could write you this article titled Stars of Early 2000 Home and Away: Where Are They Now? ( PART ONE )
Cassie Turner (Sharni Vinson)
What I remember of her character on Home and Away:
* Really skinny, but the concept of body shaming didn't exist back then, so it was all Girlfriend magazine ever talked about.
* Introduced to the show on a jetski, boosting around doing half-ass tricks while an unlicensed 'rock theme' song played in the background.
* Exchanged flirty banter with Rick, both parties only spoke in rhetorical questions.
* Once stole all of Rick's clothes after tricking him into skinny dipping, leaving him to bike home wearing a skirt made of leaves.
What Cassie is doing now in real life:
According to IMBD, she hit the jackpot. She was a supporting actor to a supporting actor in the film Step Up 3D. Here you can watch a video of her talking about the character she played, while wearing a mesh hoodie and fingerless leather gloves.
Cassie also starred in a music video for Matchbox 20's Put your hands up. During the video she is shown making out with an overly greased-up Kellan Lutz. Soon after shooting the Matchbox 20 music video, the pair started dating. He ended up dumping her when he got famous, but at least she got to go to the red carpet premiere of Twilight with him.
Cassie's Social Media breakdown:
Twitter: 30,000 verified followers.
Best tweet: Has to be this video of her drinking wine using only her big toe for purchase:
Instagram: 25K followers but posts a lot of heavily pixelated inspirational quotes that don't make sense.
Jessie McGregor (Ben Unwin)
What I remember of him when he was on Home and Away:
* Had a shaved head, was a really reasonable guy.
* Never got into too much drama, apart from like maybe one murder.
* Not as hot as the others but these days is 100% my type on paper.
* Worked at the gym?
* Did a lot of 'aussie' stuff like surfing, drinking VB, and getting into fights with non-locals.
What Jessie McGregor is doing now in real life:
It turns out that as soon as he finished acting on Home and Away, he straight up completed a law degree and has been working a solicitor in Sydney ever since. Dude is making mean bank.
More interestingly, according to IMBD, Ben Unwin was actually also the director of Chumbawamba's music video for Tubthumping. I've spent way too much time double investigating this. I wish it was true but I can't understand how that could be? I'm pretty sure it's a stitch up. Or, at least, a clerical error.
Jessie's Social media breakdown: Non-existent. He's a lawyer.
Martha Mckenzie (Jodie Anasta)
What I remember of her from the show:
* Big White Teeth.
* Cried a lot.
* If the mood in a room was good, Martha would walk in and bring that mood right down to the ground.
* Dated a cop.
* I think the cop died.
* Did she kill the cop?
* Looked like the Trivago lady.
What Martha is doing now in real life:
Disappointingly, Martha is not the Trivago lady. But she was involved in a bizarre incident in 2009 when she was found by police cowering behind a sofa in a gang member's house after claiming armed men had tried to raid the house. She had a vitriolic breakup with NRL star Braith Anasta. She's now a regular on Neighbours where her entrance made a big splash in 2016. She plays the feisty Elly Conway.
Martha's social media breakdown:
Instagram: Verified 130,000 followers.
Her posts are mainly of her surrounded by expensive stuff. Not sure how she makes all this money. In my opinion it's probably either from coffee body scrub promo posts.
Rick Dalby (Mark Furze)
* Was hot, but I was very young.
* Worked on cars, skipped school.
* Frequently called a "flamin mongrel" by Alf Stewart.
* Got little pointy nipples when he was going through puberty.
* Loved a shell bracelet.
* Ended up being Alf's grandson.
What Rick Dalby is doing now in real life:
Turns out Rick went spiralling down a weird but unsurprising "pop punk music" path. Soon after finishing on Home and Away, he started a band called Falcon Road. I looked at one of their songs on Youtube. It's got a very INXS Cover Band sound and a heavily 48 May aesthetic. You can watch the video here: it has 756 views.
Rick also started a youtube channel called 'The RedNeck Vegan' where each video has about 13 views. Before that he starred on a very depressing British reality show that took old soap opera stars and made them compete musically, as if it were American Idol.
Rick's social media breakdown:
Follow him on Instagram.
My favourite post of his is when he went to a secret Miley Cyrus concert. I'm assuming one of the Hemsworth brothers hooked him up with those tickets.
Hayley Smith and Noah Lawson (Rebecca Hewitt and Beau Brady):
It was no secret that Hayley Smith was everyone's favourite girl character and Noah Lawson was everyone's favourite boy character. Not only were the pair dating as characters on the show, they were also dating in real life. It was a truly amazing relationship to follow
What I remember about their characters on the show:
* Noah had frosted tips.
* Hayley's hair was almost perfectly naturally crimped.
* Hayley wore a lot of 'sugar' and 'Aztec Rose' and 'Roxy'.
* Hayley had heaps of cool low rider hipster pants.
* Noah used to wear skater necklaces with skater chains attached to his velcro wallet.
* Even though you couldn't tell from the TV screen, Noah definitely smelt like Lynx Africa.
* Noah died in the end, he got squashed between two trucks?
* Hayley left the show but then came back as a totally different actor with totally different coloured hair, and it was the stupidest thing ever.
What they are doing in real life:
After the show finished, the pair continued to date in real life for a while. They were even engaged there for a bit.
However, soon enough Bec broke up with Beau and started dating actual Aussie tennis legend, Lleyton Hewitt. According to the gossip mags, She started texting and calling Lleyton Hewitt while she was still together with Beau.
He reportedly threw his engagement ring into the ocean when they split and suggested in an interview that maybe it was because he didn't "own a Ferrari." Seriously though, i'm pretty much legit certain that it was because he didn't own a Ferrari. We all knew Beau was punching anyway to be honest. Also it's Lleyton frikken Hewitt.
In their separate lives, Rebecca Hewitt is doing well living that WAG life she has about 500K Instagram followers.
As for Beau, he is non-traceable on social media and recently pleaded guilty for possession of Cocaine after being caught loaded with blow at a Sydney nightclub. The Daily mail article came out on 18th August 2017 so that is very recent.
Tune in next week for Part Two.