How to look after white bedding
Alison Nottingham of soft furnishing company Bianca Lorenne has some tips on looking after your bedding and keeping fine linen and cotton sheets white.
* Reach for the chlorine bleach, as it can react with body oils to make whites more yellow.
* Leave laundry out in the sun for too long after it dries, as the sun can damage the fibres.
* Use a hot dryer as it weakens the fibres in fine linen.
* Wash linen in cold or lukewarm water using eco-friendly cleaners that are safe to use regularly.
* Add half a cup of baking soda with the detergent at the beginning of the wash cycle. Then, at the start of the rinse cycle, pour in half a cup of white vinegar. The odour will rinse out!
* Hang linens to dry in the sun as sunlight has bleaching capabilities and won't set stains like the drier does.
* Rotate your sheet sets as fibres need time to rest and breathe – they will last longer if not used continuously.
- NZ House & Garden