Firefighters called to toxic, corrosive chemical spill in south Auckland

Two FENZ hazmat units have been called to a toxic chemical spill at an industrial property in south Auckland (file photo).
MARION VAN DIJK/STUFF
Two FENZ hazmat units have been called to a toxic chemical spill at an industrial property in south Auckland (file photo).

Firefighters have been called to a toxic chemical spill at a industrial site in south Auckland on Wednesday night.

A Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) spokesman told Stuff emergency services were alerted to the spill at the Verissimo Drive about 9pm.

The spill involved a mix of sulphuric acid and hydrogen fluoride, which was toxic and corrosive, a spokeswoman confirmed on Thursday morning.

At least 100 litres of the liquid had spilled, the spokesman added.

Seven fire crews, including two specialist hazmat units, had been called to the Mangere property.

It was not initially know when the chemical was, and by 11.30pm, firefighters were still deciding how to clean up as it was required they determine what the substance was before using a neutralising agent to make the spill safe to remove.

The spokesman told Stuff the substance could not simply be watered down, as this could cause a reaction.

However, crews had cleaned up and left the scene by midnight.

It was unclear whether the substance had seeped into any public drains.

Stuff