Grandmother stops fire ripping through Blenheim house
A quick-thinking grandmother has stopped her Blenheim house from going up in flames.
Firefighters were called to a blaze in the bedroom of a Julian St home on Sunday about 9.45am.
Blenheim Volunteer Fire Brigade chief fire officer Nigel Botham said a grandmother and her grandson were home at the time.
The grandmother saw the fire and shut the bedroom door before calling 111, Botham said.
"By shutting the door she starved the fire of oxygen. It made a vast difference like you wouldn't believe," he said.
Three appliances attended to the fire and quickly had it under control, Botham said.
The cause of the fire was accidental and no-one was injured, Botham said.
"She did the right thing. Our advice is not to fight the fire. Shut the door, get out and call 111," he said.