Mussels gathered at Napier Marina linked to cases of paratyphoid fever

Two of the four people who are unwell have eaten mussels gathered on Napier's foreshore.
MARION VAN DIJK/STUFF

Two of the four people who are unwell have eaten mussels gathered on Napier's foreshore.

Mussels gathered in Napier are suspected to be causing an outbreak of paratyphoid fever as another case  has been confirmed  and three potential cases followed up.

Last week the Hawke's Bay District  Health Board said there had been three confirmed cases of the illness, which all required hospitalisation. One case had been linked to shellfish gathered at Napier Marina.

Now of the four cases confirmed, two people had eaten mussels gathered in the area, and the district health board was concerned mussels from there may have been eaten at a tangi at Tangoio Marae 11 days ago.

Medical officer of health Nick Jones said paratyphoid was a serious illness and a notifiable disease. "It is most important people get medical care or call HealthLine if they are unwell."

READ MORE: 
Shellfish link as three people hospitalised in Hawke's Bay with paratyphoid
New Mid Canterbury health scare

 Symptoms included a fever, chills, headache, possibly a rash and people may also get severe vomiting and diarrhoea.

The illness usually develops within 10 days of eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water, but it could take as long as four weeks for symptoms to emerge.

Jones said the DHB had teams out in the community working to follow-up with anyone that was sick, but the most important thing for people with symptoms, or who knew of people with symptoms, was to get medical help.

Hand washing was extremely important to help curb the spread of the disease, Jones said.

There were signs warning people not go gather shellfish at the marina. 

Ad Feedback

 - Stuff

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback