Dean Jones to stay on commentating despite Kabul stadium blast

Last updated 17:26 14/09/2017

Australian commentator Dean Jones says he will see out his commentating stint in Kabul despite witnessing a fatal bomb blast.

An injured boy receives treatment inside a hospital after a suicide attack at a checkpoint near the main cricket stadium, in Kabul.
Afghan security force members stand guard at the gate of Kabul International Cricket Stadium after a suicide attack.

Relevant offers

National sport

Joseph Parker fends off Hughie Fury over 12 rounds to retain WBO heavyweight title Joseph Parker: 'I knew I'd won ... but we are in Manchester' 'Thank God I made him a judge': Promoter David Higgins relieved as Joseph Parker wins Live: Bay of Plenty v Counties Manukau - Mitre 10 Cup week six Resurgent Canterbury bury memory of horror loss to Wellington and brace for Ranfurly Shield defence Lance Revill says Joseph Parker 'bolted in' but adds the heavyweight stoush was boring Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer team up for Europe in Laver Cup Golden State Warriors to boycott White House visit after Stephen Curry uninvited Warriors bottom of NRL for fan support Cowboys run over the Roosters to set up a NRL grand final clash with the Storm

Former Australian test cricketer Dean Jones says he will stick out his time commentating in Afghanistan despite witnessing a deadly terrorist attack first hand.

At least three people are dead after the bombing just outside the gates of Kabul International Cricket Stadium where hundreds of spectators were watching the Shpageeza Cricket League T20 match on Wednesday.

Jones saw the blast from the commentary box in what he described as a "shocking incident".

"It shook us out of our seats, almost, in the commentary booth," he told 3AW on Thursday.

READ MORE: Suicide bomb near cricket stadium kills three

"The shock waves went right throughout our grandstand and windows etcetera - all the players hit the ground when it went off while the game was still on. Everyone went off the ground straight away.

"Interestingly, the Afghanies just got up out of their seats ... and just looked over the top of the stands out onto the road to see what was going on.

"So they're pretty well used to it but it's our first taste of that sort of stuff."

Jones said he threw off his microphone headset and was ready to run but security told him to stay put.

"They handled it really well, to be honest," he said.

"The players decided 'we'll finish the game' and it was an amazing game. One team nearly chased down 200 and they fell four or five (runs) short. It was just one of the great games of T20 cricket."

Jones still has eight more days in the country, where cricket is developing a strong following.

The Afghan government has increased his security status to "presidential".

"I feel very safe at the hotel and the ground - it's just to and from the ground for us and the players and everyone that's been a major concern," he said.

But the limited flights out of Kabul meant even if he wanted to leave, he would probably have to wait.

Ad Feedback


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content