Manly Sea Eagles coaches Willie Peters and Dan Ferris in public fist fight

Manly assistant coach Willie Peters.

Manly assistant coach Willie Peters.

The Manly Sea Eagles have turned on each other following their controversial finals exit during a night out at the Rocks in Sydney.

Sea Eagles assistant coach Willie Peters and the club's head of high performance, Dan Ferris, were involved in a fight outside the Orient Hotel on Wednesday.

Police were called to break up the fisticuffs and issued an infringement notice to Peters for offensive behaviour. Neither of them cooperated with police inquiries.

The pair were among those responsible for guiding Manly to an unexpected finals appearance when most pundits predicted the Silvertails would miss the playoffs.

Manly to contest fine
Manly boss irate over finals policy
Gallen made to 'eat his words'
NRL coach's stunning ref tirade


Ferris has been credited with whipping the players into shape and reducing the amount of soft-tissue injuries, while Peters has helped head coach Trent Barrett prepare the side alongside fellow assistant coach John Cartwright.

Peters made the transition into the coaching ranks after finishing a playing career that included stints at St George and South Sydney.

"A man has been fined after a fight outside a Sydney licensed premises overnight," police said in a statement.

"About 7pm yesterday police were called to a licensed premises on George Street at The Rocks after two men were seen fighting.

Ad Feedback

"The men, aged 38 and 31, declined to make statements or assist police with inquiries. Both men had superficial injuries.

"A criminal infringement notice was issued to a 38-year-old man for offensive behaviour."

It has been a rough few days for the Sea Eagles. They were controversially eliminated from the finals after being on the wrong end of several contentious calls in the loss to Penrith.

Manly centre Dylan Walker was denied a try after being ruled offside, while Panthers opposite Tyrone Peachey got the green light despite the possibility of a knock on in the lead up. Incensed by the decisions, Barrett unloaded on officials in the post-match press conference, prompting the NRL to issue the club with a proposed fine of A$20,000.

The fine, coupled with the Peters-Ferris stoush, is a controversial end to Manly's campaign.

 - Sydney Morning Herald

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback