Storm packs a punch for Taieri farmer

Tairei farmer Ross Farquhar's property is underwater.

Tairei farmer Ross Farquhar's property is underwater.

Ross Farquhar's last 24 hours have been "fairly full on". He has helped move 180 cattle, swam to rescue five sheep and escorted his two horses to safety.

Now, his 7 acre property in Taieri, is completely surrounded by water, as two months of work cleaning up the mess left behind awaits him.

When Farquhar arrived home on Friday, about 4pm, the rain was well under way, with the water rising about a metre an hour.

"It was just within the boundary when I got home but by the time I went to bed it was coming into our property."

Farquhar said he faces about two months' worth of clean-up.

Farquhar said he faces about two months' worth of clean-up.

* States of emergency declared in the south
* Storm: What you need to know on Saturday
* Photos: Christchurch floods
* Heathcote River bursts its banks
* Police rescue drunks in floodwaters

As soon as he got home he realised two of his horses were "stranded" in the paddock. It wasn't an easy job, but by 7.30pm the horses had been relocated and were on safer ground.

The next job was moving 180 cattle from his neighbour's property.

"By the time I shifted the cattle and came in and had my fourth shower and got into bed it was 1.30am."

Due to the conditions he was unable to reach five of his sheep, stranded waist-deep in water.

"We just had to hope and pray that they would still be here this morning."

When he got out of bed at 6am on Saturday, he went outside and turned his torch on only to be greeted by "a glisten of water". His property was completely underwater.

Ad Feedback

Four hours later, he and a friend swam to the sheep. Miraculously, they had survived the night. 

His shed, usually full of tools, was flooded. His ute had been submerged under water for most of the night.

"It is what it is. Everyone's safe and all the animals are safe and everything is fine which is the main thing," he said.

"It's been fairly full on, it's just a matter of waiting for it to drop and start cleaning the mess up but unfortunately what we end up with is rubbish and trees, there's probably two months worth of work to clean up and repair fencing that's been damaged."

 - Stuff

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback