Auckland Airport to investigate security screening failure
Aviation Security doesn't yet know whether any passengers departed Auckland Airport without being screened, after a technical glitch on Wednesday night.
An investigation will be carried out to find out how the power supply to a metal detector was cut, causing 1000 passengers to be re-screened.
Were you affected? Share your story with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The power disruption was to one of the six walk-through metal detectors and was picked up about 6pm on Wednesday.
An officer noticed the unit had stopped working, and CCTV footage was then examined, which showed 53 passengers had been through the detector while the power was off.
All the travellers in the departure lounge, and some who had already boarded flights, were then moved back out to the public area for re-screening.
Asked on Thursday whether any passengers had departed without being re-screened, Aviation Security spokesman Mike Richards said: "I don't know.
"There is an operational review underway and the information is still being gathered and will include: a timeline, actions taken, all parties affected and involved," he said.
Auckland Airport spokesperson Kate Thompson said safety and security were the airport's top priority.
"We will be investigating over the next few days to find out how this happened," she said.
Thompson said the airport would also be reviewing its processes following criticism the airport did not keep passengers adequately informed.
"We brought in extra staff but you can always learn from a situation."
Thompson said it would be business as usual on Thursday, after all flights were cleared on Wednesday night.